There are several Windows Phone apps that offer remote control of VLC Media Player and other media playback apps, but VLC Remote stands out because it is easy to set up, uses VLC Media Player's built in "remote over WiFi" functionality, and has a cleanly implemented control and media browsing mechanism.
The ease of set up comes from a helper app (VLC Setup Helper) that can be downloaded from Hobbyist Software's website. In most cases all you will need to do is start the helper app and enter a pairing code, after which the helper app will automatically configure VLC Media Player on the PC or Mac, so that the configured computer become visible to the Windows Phone app.
Here's the full list of functionality as described by Hobbyist Software:
- Easily control VLC from your sofa!
- Works with VLC on your Mac, PC, or Linux machine
- Automatically scans your local network for VLC players
- Full browsing control on your computer (select any file on your computer to play)
- Control all standard functions like stop, play, pause, volume, position, next track...
- Full DVD controls
- Turn fullscreen on and off
- Control subtitles, aspect ratio, audio track and delays
- Use the picker control for fine control of volume and position
- View the playlist and play files from it
- Easily access external drives
- Free setup helper quickly configures VLC for use with the remote
VLC Remote® lets you remotely control your VLC Media Player on your Mac or PC. VLC is a great, free and popular media player that can handle almost any file format.
VLC Remote® lets you sit back enjoy your movies and music while you control things from your easy chair. It is a joy to use - no more reaching for the mouse when you want to pause your show, select the next episode, or play some different music.
VLC Remote can be downloaded from the Windows Phone Marketplace. A free trial is available, and the full app costs £1.49 / $1.99 / €1.99.