Halo is one of Microsoft's biggest gaming brands so its arrival on Windows Phone is a significant moment, with the potential to give new users a reason to pick up a Windows Phone device. It will also be promoting Microsoft's multi-screen strategy as it will be possible to pause the game on one device and pick up and continuing playing the game on another.
Here are the top features of the game, as listed by Microsoft's Halo Waypoint site:
- Original "Halo" gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view.
- New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of "Halo 3" and "Halo 4," experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio.
- Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets.
- Integration with "Halo 4." Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your "Halo 4" Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch.
- Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals.
- In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities.
- Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.