From the Store description:
Meet Libby. Did you know your local library has thousands of ebooks and audiobooks? You can borrow them, instantly, for free, using just the device in your hand.
- Fish out your library card
- Open the Libby app
- Find your local library
- Search, sample, borrow, enjoy
It takes just a few taps to find and borrow a book. Libby has a ground-breaking built-in ebook reader, and a beautiful audiobook player. If you prefer, you can send books to your Kindle for reading.
- Sign in to multiple libraries, with one or more library cards
- Download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
- Sample any book with a tap — nothing to download or delete
- Try a zoomable graphic novel, or a picture book with readalong audio
- All your holds and loans are consolidated on a single shelf
- Tag titles as read, loved, hated, wishlist, schoolbook, beach-reading, whatever you like
- Your loans, holds, reading positions, bookmarks and notes are synchronized automatically across all your devices
- Keep track of your reading history in the Activity tab
I did my best to try this out, but my local libraries in Berkshire UK don't seem to be part of this system yet - or maybe my card is too old! Either way, a selection of my - and promo - screenshots here, showing roughly how it all works:
You can grab this for free here in the Store.
PS. This seems unrelated to the original Libby for Windows Phone!