Recent Features - Comment

Five of the biggest mistakes in Windows on mobile

icon

It's easy to look back from a world in which Windows-based phone hardware sales have dropped to millions rather than billions, and to point the finger at what went wrong. In fact, that's just what I'm doing here. Five of the biggest mistakes from my own perspective, at least, from devices to employees to misplaced spending.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Camera phone head to head: Lumia 950 vs Huawei P10

icon

A year ago I pitched the Huawei P9 against the camera phone world champion (in terms of image quality), the Lumia 950. A year on, the P10 adds extra resolution and OIS to the mix in trying to challenge the Lumia - but is it enough? With a bunch of interesting lighting challenges I test the phone cameras out...

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Phone by phone: WP8/Windows 10 Mobile official upgrade paths

icon

After many editorials and features, there still seems to be much confusion about exactly where each Windows Phone will end up - officially. So I thought I'd produce an upgrade grid, for easy bookmarking. And note that I'm ignoring hacks like fiddling with phone registries - we're keeping things 100% legitimate here.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

DON'T PANIC - Windows Phone's Easter break edition!

icon

Ah, the best laid plans. Regular articles have had to be put to one side after a deluge of reaction and over-reaction to various happenings in the world of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10 Mobile over the weekend. The Easter weekend. When hardly anyone's at work at Microsoft to respond or fix things. It's their own fault, really, for releasing new builds and a confusing statement mere minutes before disappearing off to family Easter events. Anyway, below I attempt to summarise the dozens of stories and thousands of comments from around the Internet from the last three days, along with my own take on it all.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Windows 10 Mobile, Redstone 3, WoA, and upgrade paths

icon

This is a topic that we've all been speculating about for a while - how will Microsoft introduce 'Windows 10 on ARM' in terms of phone/phablet hardware that already uses ARM chips? Are the likes of the Lumia 950 XL and HP Elite x3 suitable for upgrading and, if so, how will it all work? What about lesser/older phones and Redstone 3? Please find below my educated guesses.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Camera phone head to head: Lumia 950/XL vs Google Pixel/XL

icon

Six months ago I did a shootout between the two Nokia camera phone classics, the 808 PureView and the Lumia 1020, and the newer Lumia 950 XL and Google Pixel XL. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, the first two triumphed, despite their age, but at some point one has to let go - and there has been renewed interest in a new 950/Pixel shootout, with latest versions of the relevant Camera software. So here we go.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

How to: use Google services on Windows 10 Mobile

icon

'Google on Microsoft' should work as well as 'Microsoft on Google', in terms of accessing services on smartphones, and yet it doesn't. Microsoft's applications are uniformly excellent and available on Google's Android OS, yet there are almost no Google applications available for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. For anyone trying to keep 'in' with both ecosystems, what are the options in terms of accessing Google-hosted content on Microsoft's OS?

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Flagship head to head: Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Lumia 950 XL

icon

Yes, the new Galaxy S8 won't be on sale for another month yet, but it represents the current cutting edge of smartphone technology. Which is why I thought it worth doing one of my tabular head to heads with the faithful old Lumia 950 XL - how does a device 18 months older stand up, spec by spec?

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Is it time for Microsoft to finally mass-email 8.1 users?

icon

It's no April Fool. I really think that next month should be the time when Microsoft finally pulls its finger out in terms of actually telling regular users about Windows 10 Mobile (W10M). In Creators Update (Redstone 2) form, it's now pretty mature, it works more smoothly than ever before, there are ever more UWP applications for it - and yet the vast majority of people who could be running W10M don't even know about it.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments