Recent Features - Comment

Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Nokia 7 Plus

icon

Yesterday I compared all the features and functions of the newish Nokia 7 Plus with those of the Alcatel IDOL 4 Pro, the highest specced Windows 10 Mobile phone. And the 7 Plus came out on top, not surprisingly, given the relative age of the designs and the use of newer components and a newer OS. The imaging side of things was a win for the Nokia 7 Plus, so it clearly needed different opposition. Enter the Lumia 950 XL, still right up with the best in the world - can the 7 Plus's 2x telephoto lens help it defeat the classic Lumia?

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Mid-price head to head: Alcatel IDOL 4 Pro vs Nokia 7 Plus

icon

With the Nokia 7 Plus in for review, one of the latest hero devices from the 'reborn' Finnish company, I wondered which Windows 10 Mobile handsets to compare it to. At £350 inc VAT in the UK, the 7 Plus is distinctly mid-range in some ways, yet high end in others. In the end I cheated slightly in terms of content - I'll be doing a camera comparison with the Lumia 950 XL, since the Nokia 7 Plus imaging is really very good, but I picked the IDOL 4 Pro for the general head-to-head, since that remains the highest specced W10M phone.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

PureView 'take two' in 2018: Windows 10 Camera vs HDR+

icon

Back in 2016, I wrote about the (then) new Google Pixel Camera software on Android and how its multi-frame combination approach was akin to the multi-pixel (pun unintended, keep up at the back!) combination approach of the original Nokia PureView system, the idea in both cases being to dramatically reduce digital noise, especially in low light situations. Two years on, I wanted to explore how far Google took this 'PureView take two' system, pitting it against the classic Lumia 950 XL in challenging lighting.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Four ways in which Microsoft 'missed me' with the Surface Go design

icon

Exactly a week ago, Microsoft unveiled the Surface Go, a smaller, lighter hybrid/communicator. And I'm still hovering my cursor over the 'Pre-order' button. Why the hesitation? Because I think Microsoft didn't quite get the design right. Don't get me wrong, I applaud their effort and the launch of new hardware, especially to a new market (mainly education). But I have several bones to pick with the company, ways it which it lost a sale to me, at least. And maybe you? See if you agree with me!

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

The definitive (editing) state of Office for Windows 10 Mobile

icon

There was some confusion recently in the comments here on AAWP over whether Office applications offered full functionality (including editing and creating) under Windows 10 Mobile in 2018. I decided to investigate and the results are below. In short, as I expected (and stated originally), you can still edit and create documents for free, but in fairness there are some restrictions. Which I list/show in definitive fashion, so hopefully this page is worth a bookmark.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Asus Zenfone 5

icon

The game in 2018 seems to be managing the increasing gaps in Windows 10 Mobile functionality while eying up possible replacements in the Android (or iOS) world. Which is why I'm continuing with imaging comparisons, since getting close to (or exceeding) the Lumia camera ability seems to be a clinching factor for many people. The Asus Zenfone 5 is both new, capable, and affordable, sitting at just over £300, offering flagship feel, stereo speakers, 3.5mm output... and a dual camera in a normal plus wide configuration.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Biometrics proved a showstopper for Windows 10 phone adoption

icon

In the most recent episode of my own Phones Show Chat podcast, I bemoaned biometrics and, ultimately, mobile money management as the area where I found the biggest showstoppers in using Windows 10 Mobile day to day. I'm convinced that this was a huge area where Microsoft failed to step in with any conviction - and not helped by the cessation of Lumia production or by the similar lack of commitment of the likes of HP and Alcatel.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Productivity head to head: Lumia 950 XL and W10M vs Blackberry KEY2

icon

Although there's life left in Windows 10 Mobile in terms of updates and support, new hardware is almost non-existent, plus repairs and spares for older hardware are becoming tricky - so it makes sense for everyone to be aware of the best of the rest, flagships from other platforms. And with the productivity-centric Blackberry KEY2 in the office, it seemed appropriate to put up a direct comparison with a Windows 10 Mobile handset, an OS which is itself - these days - equally centred on 'getting things done'.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Device by device - June 2018 update

icon

After several enquiries as to the latest table I'd put together for all the various Windows 10 Mobile-compatible smartphones, and realising that I'd lost track myself, I thought that a refresh was appropriate, approximately three months on from the previous incarnation and with several updates applied, not least confirmation of the extended support and special treatment given all Windows 10 Mobile branches (when compared to the appropriate Desktop branches).

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments