Recent Features - Comment

Windows 10 and Continuum: Five years ahead of the pack and yet sidelined

icon

As an industry watcher, it drives me mad to see and hear, over and over again through 2017 and into 2018, how iOS or Android are being adapted and extended, with possible reaches out into laptop and even desktop territory. The various UI issues and technical hurdles are debated, with pundits usually agreeing that whatever happens "will take five years" to mature. Hang on though, didn't we already have what's needed? In 2015, with Windows 10 Mobile?

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Researching Windows 10 Mobile phones and Spectre vulnerabilities

icon

Microsoft's patches for all supported branches of Windows 10 Mobile a few days ago were much welcomed, more of a show of force in the industry in the face of media concern over Meltdown and Spectre chip vulnerabilities, but the reality is that there was very little to worry about. Only a handful of phone models had the vulnerable chipsets and the attack vector even before the patches was infinitesimal. Note that, in my research, I also tried (and failed) to find evidence of any OS slowdown.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Don't panic! Why missing out on FCU is NOT a big deal...

icon

Don't obsess over missing out on Fall Creators Update (FCU), you're not missing much - on Mobile, at least. I write this for all the Lumia 640, 735, 830, 930/1520 owners who have been following along at home with AAWP, accessing all the various official production and Insider-level updates. You'll have ended up on Creators Update, but don't lose sleep that you're not on FCU, you're not missing anything important. Really.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Testing smartphone audio capture in 2018

icon

I go into some depth when testing smartphone (stills) cameras, I even occasionally test smartphone video capture. But I rarely test the audio that's captured. Whether you're videoing some live music in front of you or just shooting video at a party, the louder, clearer and higher quality the better - audio is often more important than picture quality, I contend*. Here's a quick test of seven contenders, back to back, play along at home and let your own ears decide!

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Double-hinged and folding, aimed at business use - from 2007!

icon

With all the recent renders and patents seemingly predicting a 'Surface Mobile' this Spring, with double-hinged design allowing use as a phone or mini-tablet, I thought it appropriate to look back into the past - such a double hinged design was seen before on a business-aimed smartphone, back in 2007, just over a decade ago. And thanks to a kind reader, I've got the Nokia E90 in front of my camera again. It's not much actual use in 2018, but it's extra food for thought.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

As AAWP heads into 2018...

icon

No, Windows 10 Mobile isn't dead. But 2017 has been a tough year for a Nokia & Windows on phones enthusiast, I recap it below, though there are some glimmers of light in the darkness. And what of 2018? I place a few predictions, too.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Surface Mobile Musings

icon

Twitter this week saw a number of very skillful CAD renders by designer David Breyer of what could be the 'Surface Mobile', ostensibly to be announced in the Spring. He based the renders on the very detailed patent filing by Microsoft a few days ago. The illustrations in the latter were such that we now have an excellent idea of what's coming, though questions remain and I'll have a go at answering them with some educated guesses below.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Nokia camera 7 year challenge: Lumia 950 & Nokia 8 take on 2010's Nokia N8

icon

8 versus 8, etc. I've lost count of the number of times readers have asked me to pit the new Nokia 8 against its namesake, the classic Nokia N8, from 2010. However much a monster the latter was, surely 2017 technology can trump it? I'm also including the reigning champion, the Nokia-designed (and Microsoft-made) Lumia 950. This will win out overall, but it's a useful modern age benchmark for the others - I'm genuinely curious to see how a 7 year old phone does!

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments

Head to head: Alcatel IDOL 4 Pro vs Nokia 8

icon

With the Nokia 8 arriving in for review, the highest specced of the 'new Nokias' (running Android), I wondered which Windows phone to compare it to. I settled in the end for the current Alcatel IDOL 4 Pro, though the Nokia nostalgist in me had me tempted for a while to go really 'old school'. See below for my thinking. And for the full blow-by-blow device comparison.

# Posted by Steve in Features || Comments