The Samsung Omnia M has already launched in a number of European countries and is also available in India. With a 4-inch Super AMOLED screen, 1 GHz processor, 384MB of RAM, 5 megapixel camera and 4GB of internal storage, the device can be considered a mid tier to entry level Windows Phone device.
The lower end of the Windows Phone market, especially in the UK, has thus far been dominated by the Nokia Lumia 710 (currently retailing at around £180) and Nokia Lumia 610 (currently retailing at around £155). The initial pricing for the Samsung Omnia M may not do much to change that, but it does give Samsung a foothold in the market and increased awareness ahead of the Windows Phone 8 launch.
Samsung describes the Omnia M, the official model number of which is the GT-I8350, as "complementing your style with a minimalist, compact design".
Scott Hooton, Chief Commercial Officer at Phones 4u said:
"We are delighted to exclusively offer the Samsung Omnia M, Samsung’s latest handset running Windows 7.5, two months before it will be available via any other UK retailer. Our track record of launching Samsung devices and Windows Phones is incredibly strong and our dedicated Samsung zones in our Oxford Street and Westfield London stores provide the ultimate destination for anyone wanting to buy this Samsung device with Windows Phone. Our retail team is extensively trained on, and passionate about all Samsung products."
Here's a video, from Phone 4u, which takes a closer look at the device:
Key hardware features
- 121.6mm x 64.1mm z 10.98mm, 119g in weight; monoblock touch form factor
- 3G and GSM connectivity: WCDMA (850/1900/2100), GSM (850/900/1800/1900).
- Processor: 1GHz, RAM: 348MB
- 4GB mass memory
- 4.0" Super AMOLED touchscreen; 800 x 480 pixels resolution (WVGA)
- 5 megapixel auto-focus camera (with LED flash); front facing VGA camera
- GPS (location), microUSB (USB 2.0) for PC connectivity and charging; 3.5mm audio out; WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1
- 1500 mAh battery
Key software features:
- Runs Windows Phone 7.5
- Samsung video-call feature / app
- Family Story and ChatOn apps pre-installed; additional Samsung apps available via the Marketplace