Surprise! Today we are releasing Build 14385 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. But wait – it’s the weekend!? We’re churning out builds like crazy and this one has a few hundred bug fixes we wanted to get out to Insiders as quickly as possible to help validate scenarios to make sure we are together building the best possible product.
- You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge and use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom) again without it constantly reloading the PDF.
- We have improved battery life for older devices, such as the Lumia 830, 930, and 1520.
- We fixed an issue where setting the SIM name on a dual SIM phone would sometimes fail.
As usual, there are known issues:
- Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and are working actively on this.
- The keyboard doesn’t show up consistently for InPrivate mode on Microsoft Edge. We’re working on this. A workaround is to click on the Microsoft privacy statement hyperlink on that page and then the keyboard works in the search/address bar. We’re working on fixing this.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.
My devices are updating as I write this. I'll report back, no doubt! The last build hasn't been without problems on the editorial devices here, but hey, this is the 'fast' ring for Insiders, so what do you expect?! I do maintain at least one device on the 'slow' ring too, so that I can monitor progress. Plus even more phones on the production builds.
Media controls continue to annoy me, though. Comments welcome from you lot!
As ever, head into Settings/'Update & Security'/'Phone update' in order to check the download and install progress of the update on your Fast ring device....
As per all my recent charts and comments, note that Redstone builds are NOT available for the non-Win-10-approved phones (e.g. Lumia 920). no matter how many times you install the 'Windows Insider' utility and enthusiastically tap the 'Fast ring' entry.... The highest version of Windows 10, even unsupported, for older (mainly x20) handsets is 'Threshold' ('the 10586.xxx branch, still being offered for a few more weeks under the 'Release Preview' ring). See my feature on all this if you're unsure where your phone will end up in Microsoft's roadmap.