Other key specifications include 2.2 GHz quad-core processor (Snapdragon 800) with 2GB RAM, built in support for Qi wireless charging, 2420 mAh integrated battery, and 4G LTE based cellular connectivity. In technology terms the Lumia Icon is essentially a smaller sized version of the Lumia 1520 and is therefore the second device running the third generation of Nokia's high-end Windows Phone hardware family.
In terms of design and styling the Lumia Icon is a refinement of the Lumia 928, offering a subtler finish, premium materials, and improved build quality. Thanks to the increase in screen size, the front profile size of the device (71 x 137 mm) is a little larger than its predecessor device, in keeping with recent industry trends. The camera is same module as that found in the Lumia 1520, with optical image stabilisation, support for lossless zoom (2x in photos, 3x in video) and high quality "Rich Recording" audio capture.
Rather than having a small camera bump as on the Lumia 925 and 1520, the back of the Lumia Icon is slightly bowed to accommodate the camera module. This does add a little to the device thickness (9.8mm versus 9mm for the 1520), but gives a smoother back profile. The edges of the device are protected by a brushed aluminium trim surround. Consequently, there are small aerial strips on the top and bottom of the device.
With a five inch screen the Lumia Icon, like the Lumia 1520, uses the expanded Start screen layout with three standard size Live Tiles displayed across the width of the screen that was introduced with Windows Phone Update 3. Other optimisations for the larger screen include changes to the Office, Email and media apps.
The Nokia Lumia Icon goes on sale on February 20th (a week from today) at Verizon stores and online at VerizonWireless.com for a price of $199.99 with a two-year activation. Microsoft Stores are taking pre-orders for Lumia Icon and are offering a free Nokia Wireless Charging accessory for those who pre-order or buy the device before March 16th.
While the Lumia Icon is exclusive to Verizon it is very likely that a non-exclusive 5-inch screen Lumia device will be announced in the near feature as a follow up to the Lumia 92x device family. Mobile World Congress, which takes place in Barcelona at the end of February, or a date around the launch of Windows Phone 8.1, expected to take place at BUILD 2014 on April 2nd, would two of the logical potential timings for such an announcement.
Key hardware features
- Size and weight: 137 x 71 x 9.8 mm, 167g in weight; monoblock touch form factor
- Cellular connectivity: LTE bands 4 and 13, CDMA EVDO 850/1900 Rev A, WCDMA (850/900/1900/2100), and GSM
- Other connectivity: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4Ghz + 5GHz); Bluetooth 4.0 (including Bluetooth LE); microUSB (USB 2.0) for PC connectivity and charging; NFC
- Memory: 32GB mass memory, 7GB of SkyDrive cloud storage
- Processor: Quad-core 2.2GHz (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800), with 2GB RAM
- Screen: 5.0" AMOLED ClearBlack; 1080 x 1920 (full HD) pixels resolution; protected by Gorilla Glass 3; support for Super Sensitive Touch, Lumia Colour Profile, and Sunlight readability enhancements.
- Camera: 20 megapixel (oversampling) f/2.4 auto-focus camera, with OIS, 1/2.5" sensor and dual-LED flash; front facing HD camera; four HAAC for Rich Recording in intelligent stereo at 1080p and with lossless digital zoom
- Sensors: GPS, accelerometer, compass, gyroscope, proximity and ambient light sensors
- Audio: 3.5mm audio out (AHJ + WP controls); HD Audio support; Dolby Headphone support
- Battery: 2420mAh integrated battery, with integrated Qi wireless charging
- Available in three colours: White, Black
Full hardware specifications are available on the Nokia website.
Key software features
- Runs Windows Phone 8.0 Update 3 with Lumia Black
- Nokia apps pre-installed include Nokia MixRadio, Nokia Camera, Creative Studio, Cinemagraph, Panorama, Nokia Storyteller, HERE Maps, HERE Drive+, and HERE Transit
- Additional Nokia apps available from Windows Phone Store in the Nokia Collection.