Microsoft claims that the Windows Phone Store has over half a million applications. Say half of them are games - the directory on this page contains not much more than 200. Even with the inevitable tweaks and additions (see the comments below, no doubt!), we're still looking at under 0.1% of the full number of games in the Store. Meaning that 99.9% are either novelties, rubbish or (worse) fakes or clones of existing game titles. If I may put it bluntly, that's an awfully high percentage. Microsoft should be ashamed.
Fear not though, for All About Windows Phone is here to help, with a bookmarkable page that should be a useful aide-memoire after a hard reset if rebuilding a phone from scratch or, perhaps more appropriately, a great place for a new Windows 10 Mobile user to start.
- Where possible, I've included links to relevant reviews/features or to entries in the Microsoft Store. Where a review references a Store URL that seems not to exist anymore, I'm blaming Microsoft's reorganisations and occasional changes in name/ID by the developer. In such cases, try search instead on your phone - and watch out for fakes with similar names.
- Note that in some cases titles may be only available for Windows Phone 8.1 OR Windows 10 Mobile - happily the vast majority here work on both!
- Watch out for outrageous purchases in some freemium games - I've filtered the freemium titles in the list below to just the ones which have good ratings and reviews. Just be careful, that's all, when tapping to 'buy' within a game.
- Please do let me know if there's a recommendation here that's no longer available or broken in some way on modern OS versions.
- Implemented as a table, I've kept the width right down and only used two columns, in order to be really phone-friendly!
I've broken down our recommendations into categories, to be helpful. No doubt things may get tweaked in time!
Updated October 2016:
Please do comment if you can add game-hardened suggestions for this top selection, and I'll incorporate them into the table!